Nursing Informatics (NI) at UF Health Shands is a department with nursing informatics specialists covering nurses throughout UF Health Gainesville. The department is comprised of an administrative director of nursing informatics and six master’s prepared nursing informatics specialists; the director and 4 nursing informatics specialists are ANCC certified. The director and 1 nursing informatics specialist are epic certified in clinical informatics.
The Nursing Informatics department is located in 4 different offices across the facility including Cancer Hospital (6 East), Children’s Hospital (11-5 and OR administrative area), and 3rd floor of Communicore. The specialists and administrative director are available in the hospital Monday through Friday from 0730 to 4:00 PM. Nursing informatics specialists are also available via Secure Chat to nursing staff for work stoppage training or computer-related issues 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For non-urgent issues staff can reach nursing informatics by email.
Description of Services
Our primary customers include registered nurses (RNs), licensed practical nurses (LPNs), monitor/ support techs (MSTs/STs), patient care assistants (PCAs), and other assistants including certified nursing assistants, mental health techs and critical care techs for all inpatient nursing areas and HODs. Additional customers include case management, social work, quality, licensing, accreditation, physicians, administrators, department chairs and all nursing employees impacted by information systems.
The specialists provide support for all nursing documentation for all units within the hospital and hospital outpatient departments (HODs) including involvement in the systems development life cycle of all of our information systems, as well as participation in committees and projects. They serve as liaisons between the nursing staff and the Information Services Department, providing essential input into the design and/or changes in the Clinical Information system as well as training of nursing staff. In addition, they maintain direct responsibility, accountability and training for the staff scheduling system, patient acuity systems, fetal monitoring system, nurse smartphones, and the nursing intranet. This is accomplished by:
- Email updates to customers
- Developing and updating tip sheets
- Developing education classes and/or modules
- Revising and maintaining training materials for new employees
- Providing direct education in the classroom and on the nursing units
- Collaborating with other users of the electronic medical record including UF Health Jacksonville, University of Florida Physicians, and UF Health Psychiatric hospital
- Collaborating with vendors and users of their systems for necessary/desired changes in software and hardware
- Maintaining QuadraMed transparent classification and Monitoring acuity reports
- Developing, directing and supporting computer resource nurses
- Attending and acting as advisors to the Clinical Documentation and Information Technology Council
- Prioritizing enhancement requests and projects with the Information Services Department
- Coordinating unit/department participation on the UF Bridge
- Serving as administrators for the Nursing Intranet
- Monitoring system downtime/outages, providing directions and downtime procedures.
- Providing support for licensing and accreditation surveys
- Providing support for immediate nursing department needs
- Professional Networking
- Evaluating new products
Explore our available position on the UF Health Jobs website.